Oral Cancer Screening
Regular screenings for early detection
Studies show that people with poor oral health have an increased risk of developing oral cancer. At Oaklands Dental, we take oral cancer screening seriously because, when treated in the early stages, there is a significantly higher chance of a cure.
Understanding your risk for oral cancer is an important part of prevention. Oral cancer is any abnormal growth and spreading of cells that occurs in the mouth. Have a regular oral cancer screening done by an oral health professional or other health professional to catch oral cancer early.
See Dr. Girard immediately if you have:
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Changes in taste or tongue sensation
- Lumps located on the lips, tongue or neck
- Sores or patches in the mouth that do not heal
- Lumps or changes in the texture or colour of the mouth tissues
- A sore throat that is persistent and/or difficulty with swallowing
- Dark red or white patches in the mouth, or on your lips or tongue
Oral cancer screening is a quick and painless exam to determine any possible signs of oral cancer. Dr. Girard and our hygienists will look for signs of oral cancer and recommend steps for treatment and prevention.